Published on November 3rd, 2017 | by 8bitbrit0
Phoenix Fan Fest 2017: Updated Weapons Policy
Phoenix Fan Fest 2017 is almost here! Make sure that you have reviewed the updated prop weapon policy! Plan ahead and plan properly! You don’t want to be asked to leave your props in the car or back at your hotel. Don’t have your tickets? Purchase them here before they go up at the door!
Costuming Prop Weapons Policy Updated Oct 31, 2017
We love cosplay and the creativity behind bringing your favorite characters to life. While safety is our number one priority for our attendees, guests, vendors, and staff, we still want to allow you to bring your Cosplay A-Game, within reason.
After careful deliberation between Square Egg Entertainment and the Phoenix Convention Center, we are pleased to announce the newly revamped costuming, prop, and weapons policy for Phoenix Fan Fest 2017.
ALLOWED PROPS & ARMOR
- Lightsabers, wands, and sonic screwdrivers are a-okay!
- Bows that are completely inoperable; un-strung is best, but loosely strung is okay too.
- Non-removable arrows in a quiver AND/OR arrows with no tip.
- Foam, plastic, fiberglass, resin or metal shields with no sharp edges
- Please note: Metal shields are allowed, but may slow down the screening process at security.
- Lightweight plastic bats. Any other accessories to the bat (such as those on Negan’s Lucille or the Demogorgon Killer from Stranger Things) should also be made of foam and incapable of harming others. No real barbed wire or nails, please!
- Armor made of plastic, fiberglass, resin, or metal.
- Please note: Metal armor is allowed, but will drastically slow down the screening process at security.
- Any other props & armor (except for anything resembling any sort of real or replica firearm) made of Plastic, Thermoplastic (Worbla), Urethane Resin, Cardboard, Foam, Foam Rubber, or other lightweight material.
Please know that any metal pieces of your costume will likely result in slowing down the security screening process. Please plan accordingly so you don’t miss any of the fun!
- Real and replica firearms of any kind, regardless of how realistic or unrealistic it looks. This includes any weapon resembling a firearm such as blasters, Overwatch firearms, etc.
- Glass props
- Stone props
- Brass knuckles
- Real, replica, or simulated explosives, ammunition, chemical weapons of any kind, including but not limited to:
- Simulated bomb vests
- Cartoon bombs
- Hand grenades
- Claymore Mines
- Pepper Spray
- Powder caps
- Metal or wood swords and other sharp-edged weapons
- Please note: Swords, axes, Wolverine Claws, etc may be permitted as long as they are made out of one of the lightweight approved materials listed in the approved section with NO sharp edges.
- Excessively noisy props including but not limited to:
Final decisions on prop weapons and armor will always be at the discretion of Phoenix Convention Center Security and the Phoenix Police Department. Please keep this in mind as you’re creating your fabulous cosplays.